Saturday, 25 March 2017

Oops, I did it again.

I have a confession to make. Last week I wrote that I got through the blood donation without fainting. Well, it turns out that was an 'alternative fact'.

At my second session I was talking to the nurse and saying that although I wasn't feeling great the first time, I managed to get through it without fainting. Her response was, 'well... you actually did'. I didn't even realise it had happened. I was very surprised. I guess it was because I was reclining comfortably in the chair and I had nowhere to fall.

This second time, however, I definitely did not faint!

Things went a lot smoother. It was much less busy in the room - just one other patient briefly came and went while I was there. I spent time chatting with the two nurses, who are both Carlton supporters. (Go Blues!) I even helped one with her ladder and award predictions for the upcoming footy season.

There was a bit of disappointing news. Unfortunately the high iron levels means my blood is unsuitable for donation. That was the aspect which I thought pushed this whole experience into an overall positive direction. Now it has left me feeling a bit hollow. I'm hoping that in the future, when my iron is back to normal, my blood may be useful again. My research suggests that it can be.

I have continued feeling rather fatigued during the week. I think it will take a while to get used to the frequency of treatments, but eventually I should start to feel better than before once the symptoms of high iron are relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment